Phase II - Budget & Scope
In Phase I we qualified our potential solution within the realm of technology and now we need to define the scope of the solution. Without defining scope, you will run the risk of your project growing out of control in both time and money. This is the phase where you should spend the time to clearly document the business requirements or "what" will be implemented.
1. Bring all the necessary players together to discuss the objectives of the project.
2. Determine how the problem that was identified in Phase I affects all key players.
3. Discuss how the problem can be solved with technology and be specific as it relates to your current business practices and workflows.
4. Document your findings and discussions.
5. Once the solution has been identified, you can present your documents to your preferred vendor(s) and obtain proposals or quotes.
Part III will discuss how to make sure you are setup to gain enough benefit for your project.